Sunday, December 21, 2014

Telemark

Ever since moving to Colorado, I've been quite intrigued by telemark skiing.  What is this crazy free heel business that a rare subset of adventurers is doing??

When my alpine skis were stolen a year ago, I eventually sucked it up and bought a crappy telemark setup from Craigslist ($100 for skis and bindings that were a little too old, $40 for boots that were a little too small (resold!)) and joined the Colorado Mountain Club ($107) to get telemark lessons ($50) and avalanche training ($240).  Then came some newer skis ($200) and some skins ($100) and leashes ($20).  Then, eventually, new tele boots with thermomoldable liner ($120) and thermomolding ($10).  All-in-all, about $1000 for the gear and knowledge to TELEEEEEEEEE!!!

And, I'm just having the best of times doing it.  I've been up 4 times this season so far (not too shabby for earlier season), and while the first few days were just sort of getting my feet wet, yesterday Charter and I skiied a solid 16,000' at Breck!  Lunges are coming in, and tele is sort of starting to make at least some sense!  :D  I'm planning to go at least once a week for the rest of the season once I'm back, and at that point, I should be a pretty solid telemark skier.  Can't wait, can't wait!

No comments: